Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Conjure Woman

The book is not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess everyone's thinking the same thing. I think it's because most of the book is plot driven. It's the same reason why people like to read Harry Potter. We are not inundated with details about how the harpoon looked or how Zenobia looked through Coverdale's sick eyes. The sentences that Julius uses are also easy. It's not these long sentences where Coverdale talks about ten different things with all these commas connecting them.

However, now that I think about it, the reading paper for The Conjure Woman would not have been very interesting. I would understand the plot and everything in it, but it would not have been very interesting to analyze. I would have about 10 to 15 pages within the chapter to analyze the story. The only thing that's holding the book together is the presence of the conjure woman and slavery. There's no evolution of the characters or building tensions from one chapter or another. It's just some old slave telling folk tales and conning the white people.

No comments: