Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Coverdale and Priscilla

I apologize for the late entry; I have been having trouble with my internet and I was working on it all weekend with no avail. So I decided to just do it on an on-campus computer.


Taking a different perspective from Matt and his thesis/previous post, I actually think Coverdale is in love with Priscilla.

From the start of the novel it starts with Coverdale being infatuated with just the mere name of Priscilla: "Priscilla! Priscilla! I repeated the name to myself, three or four times; and in that little space, this quaint and prim cognomen had so amalgamated itself with my idea of the girl, that it seemed as if no other name could have adhered to her for a moment" (29). Though this incident doesn't suggest a fully developed love for her, it does signal an apparent interest.

As the plot develops it seems that his love for her only grows. There are many incidences where Coverdale's actions signal his love for Priscilla. One incident in particular happens in Chapter 14, when Coverdale tries to show/persuade Priscilla that Zenobia and Hollingsworth have a romantic relationship and for Priscilla to stay away. It is rather clear that Priscilla has feelings for Hollingsworth and Coverdale is merely jealous and wants Priscilla's heart for himself.

And as for the relationship between Coverdale and Zenobia, might seem plausible but through the text it seems unlikely. When Coverdale is sick Zenobia comes in and claims that Coverdale does not admire her: “[…] I think, to precisely such glances as you are in the habit favoring me with. I seem to interest you very much; and yet-or else a woman’s instinct is for once deceived-I cannot reckon you as an admirer. What are you seeking to discover in me?” (47). Zenobia recognizes that Coverdale does not have feelings towards her. I think Zenobia is merely of interest to Coverdale. Coverdale is able to talk freely to Zenobia on a variety of subjects, such as women's rights, because he is not romantically attracted to her. Coverdale does think Zenobia is beautiful but not in the same admiring way he thinks Priscilla is beautiful. Coverdale and Zenobia's relationship seem strictly platonic.

No comments: