Monday, July 14, 2008

Veiled Lady

So I had a lot of trouble with my thesis originally. I wanted to do something that dealt with identity because it was a very prominent theme throughout Blithedale. The Masquerade scene was seriously screaming at me while I read it. But what I came to realize after talking with Natalia was that this idea of identity is so broad that it's importance can get lost simply by listing all of these examples. I'm currently in the process of reworking my paper and I am focusing more on how Hawthorne uses the veil to play with identity in Priscilla's case. On taking a second look I noticed how completely enigmatic Priscilla is as the Veiled Lady. At the very beginning there is the question about her identity with Coverdale and Old Moodie. It's also ironic that Zenobia thinks she is revealing Priscilla's identity as the Veiled Lady when she gives her narrative, but she is ignorant of her family tie to her.

1 comment:

Rohit said...

I think this is a great specific case of the identity theme - the veiled lady is certainly a recurring piece of evidence. I think you could even relate that to the identities of Zenobia and Westervelt. Zenobia is a quite confusing character, in my opinion, because she constantly shifts allegiances. It seems at the end she aligns herself with Westervelt and turns over Priscilla. Also, Westervelt is just as mysterious. I'm sure Hawthorne is trying to show some sort of identity crisis in the trio of Zenobia, Westervelt, and Priscilla.