Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ah, Reading Paper

I have been revising my reading paper for several days now. Everytime I look at the paper, I have new ideas developed, and I have to cross out one or two paragraphs and rewrite it. Now, I have completely changed my argument, and I have rewritten almost 80% of the paper.

This revising process is painful -- I keep searching for new evidence to support my claim, and I keep crossing out things I have put down on the paper, just to make my argument stronger. After several days struggling, my reading paper finally comes into a shape. Now I am about to finish my last body paragraph and conclusion.

I am going share a little bit about my paper. The passage I chose was about Coverdale's reaction to Zenobia's passionate speech on women's rights.

Now -- Though I could not well say so to Zenobia -- I had not smiled from any unworthy estimate of woman, or in denial of the claims which she is beginning to put forth. What amused and puzzled me, was the fact, that women, however intellectually superior, so seldom disquiet themselves about the rights or wrongs of their sex, unless their own individual affections chance to lie on idleness, or to be ill at ease. They are not natural reformers, but become such by the pressure of exceptional misfortune. I could measure Zenobia's inward trouble, by the animosity with which she now took up the general quarrel of woman against man. (120)

My original argument was that Coverdale's claim about Zenobia is right -- Zenobia is not always a reformer, she is only a reformer when something unfortunate happens to her. I then showed 3 examples to prove Zenobia's inconsistent commitment to women's rights. 1. She did not respond when Hollingsworth challenges her view on women's rights. (123) 2. She gives up her feminist goals and says "Women possess no rights" (141). 3. She picks up her goals again when she's rejected by Hollinsworth. (225)

However, these are all I was able to use to back up my point, which I felt was not convincing enough. Moreover, Natalia suggested that it sounds more like Zenobia has made a mistake when she gives up her goals, which makes me think that perhaps I should not claim that Zenobia is not a consistent woman reformer, basing only on Coverdale's thoughts about woman.

So I changed my argument. I am now saying that Coverdale's claim about women and Zenobia is false -- it is only his own assumption, and his underestimation of women. Moreover, Coverdale's false claim about Zenobia shows that their relationship is distant.

I listed several examples to show that Coverdale has possessed prejudiced opinions about women for a long time. Though he calls his idea about women a "fact," it is nevertheless only his assumption. I also showed several examples on how Coverdal makes different assumptions about Zenobia to demonstrate their distant relationship.

I am still working on it... hopefully I will get it done tonight!

Perhaps I will find some problems when I read my paper again tomorrow...
--------------oh, what a terrible thought!

OK good luck everyone! Am I going to see you guys next week?
probably not huh... if the strike happens tomorrow.

I support this strike though, because they really deserve more. Living on low wages is hard; living in one of the most expensive states makes it even harder. I hope they can get better contracts they deserve!

4 comments:

melissa said...

I'm sorry that the revision process has been a pain. I'm actually feeling it a little too. My problem, though, is figuring when enough is enough. When is my paper going to be good enough to be turned in? As I read my paper on Sweet Cicely, I realized that my paper doesn't flow the way I want it to. Also, sometimes my paragraphs seem to sidetrack from my argument, which is something I'm still working on. Luckily we have till Thursday to figure all this out.

Khang said...

Wow Wendy, I'm sure all your hard work will pay off! You know we talked after class and we were terribly disappointed about our first drafts haha.

I feel the same way about my initial argument; I have examples, but I'm not satisfied. So I put the paper aside and tried to look at the bigger picture of Sweet Cicely. I think I might have come onto something. =]

Wesley said...

I like your new argument a lot (that Coverdale was wrong in his judgement of Zenobia). I always thought it sexist of Coverdale to claim women are too weak to stand up for their sex unless personally misfortuned. He claims women only revolt if "their own individual affections chance to lie on idleness," which is of course not the opinion of a feminist.

Wendy said...

Wes, I do say Coverdale sexist in my new argument, but I am afraid this word is too strong. But I really do think he is sexist.
I found one example to prove my claim:

Coverdale says this when he meets Zenobia:“We seldom meet with women, now-a-days, and in this country, who impress us as being women at all; their sex fades away and goes for nothing, in ordinary intercourse” (Hawthorne 17).

This may back up my claim.