Sunday, July 27, 2008

A searching on Margaret Fuller's Death

This week, I went to San Francisco Public Lirary's main branch. Through using library catalog and some help from librarians, I borrowed a few books home. With an interest of investigating the relationship between Margaret Fuller and Zenobia's death, I read on the chapters of the books where they present Margaret's story.

First, a book called In Search Margaret Fuller by Abby Slater, she points out that Margaret Fuller did not see her death was unwelcome. In a letter which Margaret wrote a few days before the shipwreck, "I have a vague expectation of some crisis--I know not what...My life proceeds as regularly as the fate of a Greek tradegy, and I can but accept the pages as they turn..."(3). Although her letter is not a foretold of the shipwreck, she seemed to be ready to somekind of doom. It's always not easy to be the first one to doa thing. As she's the very first feminist writer in the 19th century, I think the bad feeling she had was the criticizm she would encounter after arriving back to United States. after her year living in Europe, it's reasonable that Margaret felt doom when she was rerouting back to her starting place.

The book also tells a story of Margaret Fuller during childhood which says Margaret had brooded to suicide. I believe this may have some affect on her perspective of life.

By the way, The Conjure Woman and Other Conjure Tales is indeed HARD to read T_T
Good luck everyone

Slater, Abby. In Search of Margaret Fuller. New York: Dekacorte Press, 1978.

No comments: