Sunday, July 20, 2008

Reading The Blithedale Romance+More...

In The Blithedale Romance, Zenobia and Priscilla are two totally different images of woman. Zenobia, who is a fascinating strong woman, is more likely to be an image of modern women, and Priscilla, who is very submissive and says she never has any free-will, is an image of ordinary women in the past. To me, Zenobia is an interesting character. Not only because of how special the reference name Hawthorne uses, the existence of Zenobia is like a woman living in the past time with a modern mind. The challenges and pressure under Zenobia is hard to difficult to express, or write it out. Unlike to Hollingsworth, Miles Coverdale is a mild character who understands and cares other’s feeling. Through the language Hawthorne uses, I’m surprised and can definitely feel the kind of romance which is different from other books.

I was thinking of a specific research topic, but still, it’s kind of hard to narrow it down. Every time I find some new information to support a topic/thesis, there are new ideas get in, and then, I have to find get rid of the extra ideas, or giving up the source and find a new one. Beside, we have readings too. Gosh…everybody’s going somewhere on their vacation…I don’t have enough time to go out!!! T_T depressing!!!

4 comments:

Khang said...

Hey I feel you Si! It had a really hard time coming up with a thesis for the last paper and I feel the same way about this particular research paper. You should try talking to Natalia and asking her for help. She knows how to ask the right questions to help you narrow down your ideas and discover it yourself. =] See you in class.

Wendy said...

I agree with Khang, go to Natalia's office hour, I am sure she can help you finalize your research topic. So what's your latest idea for this research project?

Natalia said...

Don't get discouraged, Si -- the process of discarding old versions of your argument isn't wasted work; it's a necessary part of the process.

I'm interested in the way you characterize Zenobia and Priscilla in terms of time. What exactly do you mean by "modern"? Does that correspond to a particular time? To 1852? To now? Similarly, what is the "past" to which Priscilla belongs? And what makes them "modern" or "old-fashioned"? There is certainly no shortage of submissive, exploited women in 2008, for instance.

Do you think this temporal correlation is being made in the novel?

Tim said...

Hey Si. I had a lot of trouble working on my thesis too. What I have noticed that has helped me a lot is to pick a topic and start researching it a little and I either end up with a lot of information or I find another topic that branches off from it. I wouldn't give up on a topic unless it absolutely necessary. Good luck on your paper. I know you will do fine because like the last paper you wrote you have a lot of great ideas.