Monday, August 4, 2008

If only I could write my research paper in the shower...

Is there supposed to be any difference between science research papers and English research papers? I wouldn’t expect there to be any significant difference, yet why is it so much harder to write my English research paper than science papers. Perhaps is it because I’m less familiar with English texts compared to scientific literature, or is it a lack of confidence or fear of an undesirable outcome like in the past? Although procrastination is preventable and usually bad for most people, I find myself most productive when I’m working in the wee hours of the night knowing that time is slowly running out. For this research project, I am very grateful that it was broken up into multiple segments. Having to prepare the presentation ahead of time really does help plan ideas for the paper. If it weren’t for planning the presentations before the paper was due, I would probably end up trying to plan my ideas and write the paper at the last minute. Now, with my ideas already planned out, all I have to figure out is how to organize them into a logical paper. In the end, the hardest part about the research paper is starting and ending. If only I could write my research paper in the shower, then I would have much less trouble thinking of ideas.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I also found myself more productive at night, and you know what, I planned my outlines of the paper in the shower!! oops.

Tim said...

I also thought it was helpful having done the presentations beforehand. Also doing these blog entries also helped put some ideas down. For me one of the hardest parts is starting a paper and doing those initial assignments I feel helped quite a bit.