Monday, August 11, 2008

Hawthorne and Feminism

After turning in my first draft I realized I still had a lot of work to do. I didn't have a defined thesis and my paper had too much research and not enough analysis.

In my paper I wanted to prove that Hawthorne uses the novel to criticize Margaret Fuller and the Feminist Movement of the 19th century. Hawthorne was basically a cultural analyst. Like any author, he wrote about what he knew and was passionate about and that was his culture and society. His works essentially became the social commentary of the time.

During his time, in the 19th century, is when the first wave of Feminism spawned and it would only be fitting that Hawthorne would write about it. It becomes lucid through Hawthorne and the rest of 19th century New England was not supportive of the movement. Hawthorne uses Blithedale to criticize Fuller, who spearheaded the Feminist Movement, and the movement itself.
Arguments:
  • Hawthorne is influenced by the Puritan Faith, which defines the traditional role of Women
  • 19th Century New England was not supportive of the movement
  • Zenobia parallels Margaret Fuller
  • Zenobia fails, she falls for Westervelt and Hollingsworth; Women's down fall is emotion
  • Zenobia's character would not be possible in the 19th century
  • Success of Priscilla and her embodiment of Women

No comments: